Communication Cue Cards are a great resource to have on hand to use with students who may need extra support to communicate during challenging times and when they don’t have the language to communicate expressively.
WHEN TO USE
Communication Cue Cards can be placed on the students’ desk so they can efficiently communicate their needs. They can be placed on a clipboard to be portable and also for students who may pick at things tapped to their desks. These visuals can be posted in a calm-down area, too.
HOW TO USE
1. Print, laminate, and cut.
2. Post visuals on the student's desk or in a familiar area to the student.
3. Model the use of visuals first by pointing to the icon and verbalizing the sentence.
4. Prompt the student to use the icon when needed.
5. Praise the student for using the visual and respond appropriately.
6. Allow unrestricted access to the visuals for the student to use as needed.