A Core Board is a colorful board with symbols that are fixed in one place. The words/symbols used on the board are high-frequency words. The Core Board can have as little or many symbols depending on the learner’s language skills.
WHEN TO USE
A Core Board is an alternative method of communication, typically used with learners who have little to no verbal communication. Core Boards support learners to communicate in many different ways, including requesting, commenting, questioning, sharing opinions, and instructing.
HOW TO USE
1. Print and laminate the Core Board.
2. Place the Core Board on the learner's desk or the front of a binder or clipboard so the board is portable.
3. Model the Core Board for the learner. Verbalize the symbols as you touch them. Depending on the learner, ask a question or present an object and prompt the learner to use the board.
4. Praise the learner when they use the Core Board.
5. Stay consistent with using the Core Board and encourage the learner to use it independently.