A collection of familiar daily visual greeting cues to use with adults and peers.
WHEN TO USE
Use visual greeting cues to support social interactions throughout the learner's school day.
HOW TO USE
1. Identify frequently used phrases specific to the learner and which individuals the learner interacts with.
2. Create a greeting board including phrases for the learner and pictures of adults and peers the learner will be greeting.
3. Model using the greeting board with the learner. Initially, the learner may need a lot of support to be successful.
4. Have the learner select the person they would like to greet and which greeting they would like to say by removing the person's picture and putting it on the greeting strip.
5. The learner may either hand the strip to the greeting partner or verbally read the greeting.
6. Reinforce the learner's greeting.
* A video model or social narrative may be helpful when first learning to use the greeting board.
* Encourage those being greeted to respond to the greeting.